First it broke the internet – then it broke ratings records.
The star-studded and highly-anticipated season two premiere of Spike’s multiplatform hit “Lip Sync Battle” on Thursday, January 7 at 10:00pm ET/PT shattered ratings and digital records for the network.
The one-hour special episode featuring an epic showdown between Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan Tatum with special appearances by Beyonce and Paula Abdul drew 4.7 million viewers (with +3 day DVR playback), making it the most watched original series episode in Spike history. The telecast peaked with 6.4 million viewers for Channing’s performance of Beyoncé’s “Run The World (Girls).” Content for the Season 2 premiere has been viewed over 55 million times on various digital platforms.
The “Lip Sync Battle” season two debut was the #1 ranked show with Adults 18-49 (3.45), Adults 18-34 (3.43), Women 18-34 (4.6), Women 18-49 (4.34) in all of television in the timeslot.
“Lip Sync Battle is a driving force behind the network’s successful shift to deliver a broad, gender-balanced audience,” said Kevin Kay, President, Spike TV. “The incredible popularity of this cultural phenomenon is a direct result of the creativity and hard work of the exceptionally talented producers and talent.”
Enclosed are some other ratings/ social media notes for the “Lip Sync Battle” season two premiere:
- – The episode had the highest female viewership in network history – 3 million.
- – To date, “Lip Sync Battle” content has secured half a billion views across all platforms.
- – “Lip Sync Battle” was the #1 ranked show in all of cable with Adults 18-49, Adults 18-34, Women 18-34, Women 18-49, and Men 18-49 last Thursday.
- – The Lip Sync Battle YouTube Channel has over 50 million views since the premiere.
- – 3 of the top 5 most-viewed new videos on YouTube year-to-date were from the “Lip Sync Battle” premiere.
- – The Channing Tatum and Beyonce’s “Run The World (Girls)” vs. Jenna Dewan-Tatum’s “Pony” video on YouTube has over 18 million views.
- – #LipSyncBattle was a top trend on Twitter, YouTube, and Facebook around the premiere last Thursday.
- – 8 million people sampled at least 1 minute of the “Lip Sync Battle” Season 2 premiere on Spike.
- – “Lip Sync Battle” drew the most social media mentions for a non-sports television program for January 7
- – The Season 2 premiere was the most watched episode in Spike Android App history.
- – “Lip Sync Battle” can now be seen in 110 countries and territories worldwide.
Based on the pop culture phenomenon of lip sync battling, the Spike original series features celebrities going head to head – lip-syncing the song of their choice – battling for the coolest bragging rights on the planet. The series is a ratings and multiplatform superstar for Spike and is the most-watched original series in network history. The award-nominated “Lip Sync Battle” is executive produced by Casey Patterson, Jay Peterson of Matador Content, John Krasinski, Stephen Merchant and 8 Million Plus Productions.
Lip Sync Battle
Lip Sync Battle is already a huge viral sensation. Now Paramount Network is taking it to the next level with its very own show, hosted by LL Cool J and with colorful commentary by social media maven and supermodel Chrissy Teigen. Each episode will feature two A-list celebrities like you've never seen them before - synching their hearts out in hysterically epic performances. The mic is off, the battle is on!